The Role of Wychall Primary School Council
1. To allow the children at Wychall Primary School to have a voice
2. To help the school and community be a better place
3. To help to improve learning in the school
4. To raise funds for the school
At school council meetings, we decide on the most effective ways to change and improve the school and then talk to the people who can help to make it happen. The school councillors records ideas, from their peers, in school council files, ready to bring to the next School Council meeting for discussion. School councillors regularly share news and information about new initiatives and the important things which are achieved with their classes. We hold school council meetings monthly. Together we can help Wychall Primary School to continue to grow and succeed.
School council will be made up of representatives from years 1 - 6.
Each year group will elect two representatives, who attend meetings and give feedback.
School Councillor Roles:
Once elected on to School Council as board members, children will be able to apply for specific job roles within the organisation.
Job roles and responsibilities will be shared with all School Council members at the beginning of the year and job specifications will be kept in each class file.
The School Council Rules are as follows:
All School Council members must:
- be respectful and listen to others
- contribute or participate actively in meetings
- follow the school rules and be role models to other pupils
- model good behaviour at all times
- be polite and courteous to others
- not refer to specific individuals or groups during discussions
- use their position on School Council to support and develop their school and peers and not abuse this position in any way
School council members may be asked to step down from their position if they repeatedly break school rules.
Each member has two chances. Should they lose these two chances, they will be asked by the Chair Person to give up their role and leave.
School council will meet every half term. These meetings will last a minimum of 30 minutes.
Should additional meetings be required, these will be called as necessary.
The venue and time of meetings will be agreed at the beginning of each school year.
For decisions to be made at a meeting, there must be at least 6 members present (one from each year group wherever possible) and decisions are made through a “show of hands” vote in which the majority rules.
Class / Year group meetings should be held once a month to discuss and share ideas and feedback. These could be included in class circle time as appropriate.